We’re conducting a month-long experiment using OptinMonster and will soon be posting the real stats. Here’s how to implement your own Optin with Exit Intent linking to a membership checkout (including “PMPro Affiliate” tracking, too).
But first… a screenshot of my popover:
1. Install and Activate OptinMonster WordPress Plugin
You can install the plugin directly in your WordPress Admin under Plugins > Add New > OptinMonster or download the plugin here: OptinMonster WordPress Plugin
2. Set your OptinMonster API Key
Select a package at OptinMonster to create your account and generate an API key.
Enter your API key in your site’s WordPress Admin > OptinMonster > Settings tab.
3. Install the “Exit Intent” Addon
Click the “Install Addon” button for the Exit Intent Addon in your site’s WordPress Admin > OptinMonster > Addons tab.
4. (optional) Install the Affiliates Add On for Paid Memberships Pro
If you want to track the membership checkouts generated by your new Optin, you can do so using the Lightweight Affiliate Add On for Paid Memberships Pro. Just follow the instructions on the add on documentation to install, activate, and set up an affiliate ID for your OptinMonster campaign.
5. Create Your Optin
- Click “Add New” under the OptinMonster > Optins tab.
- Choose the Theme and set up the custom Design (colors, custom CSS) for your Optin.
- Live edit the text of your Optin in the “preview” window. Don’t worry about adding any buttons or links in the space.
- Under Configuration, check the “Hide for Logged-in Users?” and “Enable Enable Exit Intent?” boxes. I kept our “Exit Intent Sensitivity” at 20 (the recommended default).
- Under Integration, select “Custom HTML Optin Form” for “Email provider”.
- Under Integration, set up your “button” link in the “Custom HTML Form Code”. Here’s the code I placed in my box:
<a id="om-lightbox-target-optin-submit" href="https://www.paidmembershipspro.com/membership-checkout/?level=7&pa=OIM">Download for Free Now</a>
The id=”om-lightbox-target-optin-submit” tells my button to inherit the selected “Design” submit button appearance/styling.
The href=”https://www.paidmembershipspro.com/membership-checkout/?level=7&pa=OIM” tells my button to link to my membership checkout page for level ID 7 with the Affiliate ID “OIM” (this is the unique affiliate I set up for my Optin in step 4 above.
Modify the code above for your unique membership checkout page URL (https protocol if the checkout is for a paid level), level ID, and affiliate ID.
- Under Output, make sure you check “Enable optin on site?” to turn on your new Optin. I load our Optin “globally” but you can configure additional settings for your Optin as desired.
And you’re off!
The Optin campaign is now active on your site. You’ll be able to track membership checkouts generated by your affiliate ID under the Memberships > Affiliates admin page. If you are not using the Affiliates add on, just use your Memberships > Reports page and filter by the level your Optin is driving traffic to. You’ll be able to track the membership checkouts and see what effect the new Optin is having on signups. Good luck!