Content marketing is one of the best ways for businesses to connect with their audiences in a meaningful way—and provide value beyond just products or services. Creating and sharing valuable content is a great way to establish your business as an industry authority, build trust with your audience, and generate leads and sales over time.
Lately, we’ve been all about the content here at Paid Memberships Pro. More specifically, we’ve been trying to find ways to get the most value out of our existing content.
But content creation is not necessarily simple; Tools and skills are required, and sometimes even outside help. This can be challenging for bootstrappers in particular, which is why it’s particularly effective to repurpose your content wherever possible.
What is Content Repurposing?
Content repurposing is the process of taking existing content and transforming it into a new format or for a new purpose. Rather than creating entirely new content from scratch, content repurposing involves using the underlying material of an existing piece to create something new.
For example, you could take a blog post and turn it into a video, a podcast episode, a social media post, an infographic, or an email newsletter.
In our webinar How to Repurpose Content for Your Membership Site, we show you how to create 10 pieces of content from a single blog post, so check that out if you’re looking for ideas:
Webinar: How to Repurpose Content for Your Membership Site
Why Repurpose Your Content?
Content repurposing is beneficial for businesses and content creators because it allows them to maximize the value of their existing content. Rather than starting from scratch every time, they can repurpose existing material into new formats and for new purposes, which can save time and resources, reach a wider audience, and reinforce key messages.
Some of the key benefits of content repurposing include:
- Increasing member engagement
- Saving time and resources
- Reaching a wider audience
- Reinforcing key messages
- Improving search engine optimization (SEO)
Let’s talk more about each of these benefits.
6 Benefits of Repurposing Content
1. It Helps Increase Member Engagement
Repurposing content allows you to present the same information in different ways, catering to different learning preferences and habits. By offering multiple formats of the same content, you can increase member engagement and encourage them to interact with your membership site more frequently.
2. It Adds Value to Your Existing Content
Repurposing your content isn’t just about duplicating it in other formats; You can actually enrich your existing content.
After all, a blog post that also contains a video or podcast version becomes more valuable than a post by itself. This is because it offers more ways to consume the content, and creates a richer user experience.
3. It Saves You Time and Resources
Creating content takes plenty of time and resources. Just consider what’s required to:
- Write a blog post
- Produce a video, including recording, editing, and adding text, graphics, and effects
- Record a podcast, including scheduling with another podcaster or interviewee
- Create documents or other digital downloads
- Produce any other type of content
Repurposing your content can help you save a ton of time and resources—and this ultimately allows you to create more high-quality content (in less time). When you repurpose content, you can take underlying material and simply focus on adapting it to new formats or purposes, rather than starting completely from scratch.
4. It Helps You Reach a Wider Audience
By repurposing content into different formats, you can reach a wider audience who may prefer one format over another. For example, some members may prefer to read blog posts, while others may prefer to watch videos or listen to podcasts.
If you were to release a blog post only, you might miss those potential customers who prefer videos (and don’t read blog posts). The fact is: You could be missing out on any number of potential customers based on content format alone.
5. It Reinforces Your Marketing Messages
Repurposing content can also reinforce your marketing messages and increase the likelihood that your members will retain the information you’re presenting. By presenting the same information in different formats, you can help your members better understand and retain the content.
6. It Improves Your SEO
Repurposing content can also improve your search engine optimization (SEO) by allowing you to target specific keywords and phrases across multiple formats. By repurposing content into different formats, you can increase the likelihood that your content will rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs).
10 Different Ways to Repurpose Content
There are many ways to repurpose content, and the exact methods will depend on the type of content you’re starting with and the new format or purpose you’re aiming for.
Here are some content repurposing examples:
- Turn blog posts into videos. Use the material from a blog post to create a video that summarizes the key points or provides additional insights. You can use screen capture software to show images or slides while you talk, or create a more polished video with professional equipment.
- Create social media posts. Use snippets or quotes from a longer piece of content to create social media posts that link back to the original content. This can help to increase engagement on social media and drive traffic back to your website.
- Turn webinars into blog posts. Use the material from a webinar to create a series of blog posts that cover the same topic in more detail. You can also use the Q&A section of the webinar to generate ideas for new blog posts.
- Create infographics. Use the material from a report, white paper, or social media survey to create an infographic that summarizes the key points or survey data in a visually appealing way. This can help to make the content more shareable on social media and increase engagement.
- Create podcasts. Use the material from a blog post or article to create a podcast episode that provides additional insights or covers the topic in more depth. You can also use the podcast as a way to interview experts or share case studies.
- Turn old content into eBooks. Use a collection of blog posts or articles to create an eBook that covers a specific topic or theme. This eBook can also double as a lead magnet to attract new subscribers or customers. Plus, you can sell your eBook on Amazon and other marketplaces to reach even more customers that might not otherwise encounter your content.
- Chop long-form videos into Instagram reels or YouTube shorts. Whether you have video podcast episodes, interviews, educational videos and tutorials, or something else, you can stretch the value beyond one long-form video.
- Create a companion worksheet or workbook. You can easily repurpose (and enhance) existing videos, blog posts, podcasts, and other content by providing companion documents for things like budgeting, calculations, planning, brainstorming or journaling prompts, list-making, and more. Even a simple fillable venn diagram or a Google spreadsheet qualifies.
- Turn collections of videos or written tutorials into online courses. If you offer a variety of tutorials or how-to videos, consider combining them into a course. Some people will enjoy having a whole collection at their fingertips instead of searching through your blog or video channel.
- Reuse your content in emails. You can get a lot of marketing value out of blog posts, social media posts, podcasts, and videos when it comes to connecting to your audience via email. Create entire newsletters, or employ a drip campaign of your best blog posts to leverage this content repurposing method.
There are many other ways to repurpose your content. The key is to think creatively and look for opportunities to leverage your existing content in new ways.
Ready to Get Started?
Hopefully this post has been helpful in showing you why you should repurpose your content and how you can get the most out of what you create. Have some content repurposing ideas to share? Let us know what has worked well for you.
Want to create a unique membership business that offers diverse value to your audience? Paid Memberships Pro allows you to restrict any type of content you want. Download PMPro for free right now and build a unique and robust membership site that you control.
Download the free ebook: Get 29 insights and ‘aha moments’ for new or veteran membership site business owners. Use these nuggets of wisdom to inspire or challenge you.