If you get the message “DPRP is disabled for this client” or “DPRP is disabled for this merchant” or “DPRP is not available” when checking out for a membership on your site, this means that your have not added the “Recurring Payment Module” to your Website Payments Pro account in PayPal.

You’ll need to log into PayPal and find the link/button to add this feature… easier said than done. I couldn’t find the link in my account, and even if I did, I don’t trust that it will be in the same place or labeled the same way in the future.

UPDATE: I am not sure if there is any way to enable this for Website Payments Pro through the new PayPal interface. The quickest way to get this handled is to call PayPal.

Look for the “Call Us” button.

For the time being though, this link should help you add the feature to your PayPal Business Account with Website Payments Pro:

Log into PayPal Business account and then click on this link to go to a checkout form to add Recurring Payments to your account.

11 Responses to PayPal DPRP is Disabled for This Merchant

1. Cheryl Mathews says:

Do you have to have a PayPal Pro account ($30/month) or can you have an Advanced account ($5/month). I am getting this error and am wondering if the first thing I need to do is upgrade to Pro? Thanks!

• Jason Coleman says:

Pro is a good way to go. If you are using PayPal Advanced, you would use the “Payflow/Advanced” gateway now available in the PMPro payment settings.

• dgmufasa says:

Hi, where do you find the “Payflow/Advanced” option? On my system, I only see:

Paypal Express
        Paypal Website Payments Pro
        Paypal Payflow Pro/PayPal Pro
        Paypal Standard

as options

• Jason Coleman says:

Sorry that was a typo. We support PayPal “Pro”, not “Advanced”.

2. 12amin34 says:

I am getting an error like Your version of Website Payments Pro is not compatible with the Direct Payment Recurring Payments feature. So what should i do to make compatible??

• Jason Coleman says:

Wow, I haven’t heard that one before. Did you ever hear back from PayPal? Are you still trying to get this to work? (Working through old buried comments right now, sorry.)

3. tinuzzo says:

I get this error message when visiting the link: “Your version of Website Payments Pro is not compatible with the Direct Payment Recurring Payments feature.”
    Support seems to be futile, one agent says it is not possible to enable DPRP, other says it will be activated in 5 minutes etc…
    What can I do?

• Jason Coleman says:

Sorry you were getting the run around from PayPal. It’s something you need them to fix. Did you ever get through to them? Any tips?

4. JonandIvy Jones says:

Ok I just went through this same thing with PayPal, and here is what you have to do to get DPRP enabled on your account. First of all, if you don’t have a PayPal Legacy account, or (Website Payments Pro 3.0) then DPRP won’t work. Your going to have to start a new PayPal account, a PayPal Legacy account, and the only department at PayPal that can do that is Sales (Pro Services). Once you get set up with a Legacy account, you can then set up DPRP on it. If your using the same bank account as your old account, your have to remove your bank account from it and then add it to the new one. Confirm your bank account, and your done.

PayPal has gotten much better with customer service as of late. If your having a problem doing this, give them a call and ask for the pro service sales associate, they can help guide you. Every single time I call PayPal nowadays, it’s an english speaking American, so take heart and pick up the phone. Not that the Indian brand of customer service is bad, they just lack a certain finesse in dealing with issues… Oh and there is the whole language barrier thing too, hehe.

• JonandIvy Jones says:

I forgot to mention that when you start your new PayPal Legacy account, you have to use an email account that is not associated with PayPal elsewhere.

• Jason Coleman says:

Thanks so much for this information. It’s useful to hear the specific steps to get a hold of PayPal and get them to upgrade/enable your account, especially when their website UI either won’t allow you to do it or is too complicated to do so easily. Thanks again.