If you get the message “DPRP is disabled for this client” or “DPRP is disabled for this merchant” or “DPRP is not available” when checking out for a membership on your site, this means that your have not added the “Recurring Payment Module” to your Website Payments Pro account in PayPal.

You’ll need to log into PayPal and find the link/button to add this feature… easier said than done. I couldn’t find the link in my account, and even if I did, I don’t trust that it will be in the same place or labeled the same way in the future.

UPDATE: I am not sure if there is any way to enable this for Website Payments Pro through the new PayPal interface. The quickest way to get this handled is to call PayPal.

Look for the “Call Us” button.

For the time being though, this link should help you add the feature to your PayPal Business Account with Website Payments Pro:

Log into PayPal Business account and then click on this link to go to a checkout form to add Recurring Payments to your account.

Comments (20)

Author’s gravatar

Do you have to have a PayPal Pro account ($30/month) or can you have an Advanced account ($5/month). I am getting this error and am wondering if the first thing I need to do is upgrade to Pro? Thanks!

Author’s gravatar

Pro is a good way to go. If you are using PayPal Advanced, you would use the “Payflow/Advanced” gateway now available in the PMPro payment settings.

Hi, where do you find the “Payflow/Advanced” option? On my system, I only see:

Paypal Express
Paypal Website Payments Pro
Paypal Payflow Pro/PayPal Pro
Paypal Standard

as options

Author’s gravatar

Sorry that was a typo. We support PayPal “Pro”, not “Advanced”.

Author’s gravatar

I am getting an error like Your version of Website Payments Pro is not compatible with the Direct Payment Recurring Payments feature. So what should i do to make compatible??

Author’s gravatar

Wow, I haven’t heard that one before. Did you ever hear back from PayPal? Are you still trying to get this to work? (Working through old buried comments right now, sorry.)

Author’s gravatar

I get this error message when visiting the link: “Your version of Website Payments Pro is not compatible with the Direct Payment Recurring Payments feature.”
Support seems to be futile, one agent says it is not possible to enable DPRP, other says it will be activated in 5 minutes etc…
What can I do?

Author’s gravatar

Sorry you were getting the run around from PayPal. It’s something you need them to fix. Did you ever get through to them? Any tips?

Author’s gravatar

Ok I just went through this same thing with PayPal, and here is what you have to do to get DPRP enabled on your account. First of all, if you don’t have a PayPal Legacy account, or (Website Payments Pro 3.0) then DPRP won’t work. Your going to have to start a new PayPal account, a PayPal Legacy account, and the only department at PayPal that can do that is Sales (Pro Services). Once you get set up with a Legacy account, you can then set up DPRP on it. If your using the same bank account as your old account, your have to remove your bank account from it and then add it to the new one. Confirm your bank account, and your done.

PayPal has gotten much better with customer service as of late. If your having a problem doing this, give them a call and ask for the pro service sales associate, they can help guide you. Every single time I call PayPal nowadays, it’s an english speaking American, so take heart and pick up the phone. Not that the Indian brand of customer service is bad, they just lack a certain finesse in dealing with issues… Oh and there is the whole language barrier thing too, hehe.

Author’s gravatar

I forgot to mention that when you start your new PayPal Legacy account, you have to use an email account that is not associated with PayPal elsewhere.

Author’s gravatar

Thanks so much for this information. It’s useful to hear the specific steps to get a hold of PayPal and get them to upgrade/enable your account, especially when their website UI either won’t allow you to do it or is too complicated to do so easily. Thanks again.

Author’s gravatar

JonandIvy Jones are absolutely correct. I just had to go through this PayPal DPRP isssue myself and the information you put here has been a major help. By default, PayPal will register a new Payments Pro 2.0 account when you first register for a Payments Pro account since this is what most users need (according to the PayPal representative I spoke to). You will need to close that account and establish a Payments Pro 3.0 account before you can use DPRP.

Also, DPRP is not the same as PayPal’s Recurring Billing system. The Recurring Billing system will work with Payments Pro 2.0, but you will not be able to use DPRP. The first person I spoke with at PayPal was confused and told me that DPRP was in fact enabled for my account, but he was incorrect, only the Recurring Billing system was enabled.

I hope this information is helpful for others out there. I am currently setting up recurring payments for one of my websites that is using CiviCRM, and the DPRP is essential when setting up recurring payments for constituents.

Author’s gravatar

Hi Alex. Have you got this working with Civicrm? If So which version of CiviCRM are you using and what type of paypal account do you have. We are using Civicrm 4.4.8 and getting the DPRP error even though Paypal say that recurring payments are enabled.

Author’s gravatar

I had the same problem but it only happened for me from customers who DIDNT have a paypal account. Apparently I can only accept payments from clients who have paypal. If I fix the issue by changing to a legacy account as suggested, will I then be able to accept credit cards from people who dont have paypal accounts? Thanks.

Author’s gravatar

Hmmm. If you are using the latest version, we pass a parameter to PayPal Standard to allow checkouts and subs for non-PayPal members. Using PayPal Website Payments Pro (legacy) should fix this by allowing users to checkout with credit cards on your site. If you want help using PayPal Standard, you can post to the member forums with more information about your setup and how to reproduce the error you are having and we can try to look into it. It might be a PayPal setting, but might be something we can look into in our code as well.

Author’s gravatar

Thanks for the reply Jason, I have paypal premier, should we be able to accept credit cards with that? So far we havent been able to, and unfortunately we have lost some potential clients as a result.

Author’s gravatar

My business partner lives in Costa Rica, so maybe that’s why? Sounds like we need a PayPal Website Payments Pro account?

Author’s gravatar

First thanks to all the previous comments very enlightening. I did submit the resolution from JonandIvy Jones to see if support could implement the instructions.

So just to share my experience: My understanding, from PayPal Docs & Reps is that if you have a Live account ( in my case PayPal Payment Pro ) then test accounts are automatically setup in the sandbox for testing new features etc … I decided to use the existing test Business Account that was, in fact, already setup. First I had to upgrade the test account to Pro because it did not mimic the Live Account, as I was lead to believe. I then went to the sandbox and on that dashboard the account was not a Pro account and there is no mechanism to upgrade it here although it should been upgraded when I changed it in the business setup & profile area. Also with Pro you cannot add Diners Club or Discover credit cards to test. Not really sure how to test at this point, and even if I could can I trust the results. As a side note Stripe was a breeze. Following are the responses from Support:
===========================================
For the Credit Card problem:
Hi Joe,

The credit card list that you provide is actually built for testing payment with Payflow account (which is another type of PayPal product). However, some of the card number still can be used for normal PayPal payment as well.

I’m sorry to inform that, actually there’s only 4 type of credit card that can be saved into your sandbox account (exclude Diners Club).

Sincerely,
Merchant Technical Support
PayPal
===========================================
For the DPRP/Account problem:

Dear Joe Finnerty,

I tried to create test account for you but our Sandbox environment recently still got some unstable problem. Our production team is working on it but cannot guarantee the result.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Here you can just see the below instruction in advance for the brief view.

But you are still able to test other payment gateway via our Sandbox environment.

We are so sorry again for the trouble caused to you.

Sincerely,
Steven
PayPal Merchant Technical Support

Author’s gravatar

Follow Up from PayPal guess you can’t test this type of account.
Dear Joe Finnerty,

I am so sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Since our Sandbox environment is unstable currently and Pro account still cannot be created for using DPRP. We are in the progress of fixing this problem but cannot guarantee the exact timeframe. So, the live account is the only environment for you to use.

Sincerely,