To set up this gateway, you will need your PayPal account’s:
- Gateway Account Email
- API Username
- API Password
- API Signature
Locating your PayPal Account’s API Information
- Log in to your PayPal Business account.
- Click the Profile icon in upper right.
- Click Profile and Settings in dropdown menu.
- Click the My selling tools tab in left menu. If you haven’t already done so, you need to verify your account before requesting API credentials.
- Click API Access
- These next pages vary based on whether you have existing PayPal API credentials set up or not.
- If you have already set up API credentials, select NVP/SOAP API integration and View API Signature.
- If you have not set up API credentials, you will need to set up the API credentials and permissions.
- Click Request API Credentials.
- Click Request API signature.
- Click Agree and Submit.
Payment Settings Setup for Paid Memberships Pro
- In your site’s WordPress admin, navigate to the “Payment Settings” tab in the “Memberships” section.
- Select “PayPal Express” from the “Payment Gateway” drop-down.
- Select “Live/Production” from the “Gateway Environment” drop-down. Note: Using PayPal in “Sandbox/Testing” mode is possible but requires you to have a separate PayPal Sandbox account and be logged in to that environment prior to initiating tests.
- Enter your PayPal Account Email in the “Gateway Account Email” field.
- Enter your API Username in the “API Username” field.
- Enter your API Password in the “API Password” field.
- Enter your API Signature in the “API Signature” field.
SSL is not required when using PayPal Express
When your customers make payment, checkout takes place on the PayPal website. The customer’s payment information is never shared.
Even though an SSL certificate is not required by PayPal Express, we still recommend getting one since customers have been trained to look for secure sites (i.e. green/gold padlocks) on ecommerce checkout pages. Having an SSL on your site will make your customers more comfortable even if it isn’t technically needed for security purposes.
Payment methods available to your customer
PayPal Express now allows your customer to pay with their PayPal account or a Credit Card. The customer can even checkout as “Guest”, eliminating the need for each customer to have a PayPal account. You can disable Credit Card as a payment option within your PayPal Account Profile.