Offer special “members-only” products that require the user to have an active membership in order to purchase. The selected products will still appear in your Shop page, but cannot be purchased by non-members.
About the Recipe
This customization recipe allows you to restrict the purchase of products in designated WooCommerce product categories for active members only. You now have full control over which categories require a membership in order to be purchased and which product categories (if any) are available to the public, regardless of their membership status.
This recipe can be used on its own or in conjunction with our WooCommerce Integration Add On, which offers additional features for integrating Paid Memberships Pro with WooCommerce.
Some suggested use cases include:
- A shop that offers an array of products, some of which will only relate to members. This can include products like Membership-branded clothing or accessories, access to digital add-on products, specialized meal or diet plans and more. Basically, anything that you only want your members to be able to own and purchase.
- A shop that offers unique or special products that can entice users to sign up for a membership in order to purchase. This can be an added incentive to users thinking about signing up for your membership.
The Code Recipe
One of the biggest requests we receive from our members and users alike is “I would like to use [insert payment gateway name]. Do you have an integration for it and if not can you develop it for me?”
Truth be told there are a myriad of payment gateways out there, and as much as we would like to have an integration for each and every gateway available, it is just not possible to do so (yet). So, now what? You desperately want to use Paid Memberships Pro but your payment gateway is not supported. You’re stuck.
Or are you?
If the payment gateway that you would like to use has a WooCommerce Integration developed for it, you’re in luck. One possible solution could be to use WooCommerce, our WooCommerce Integration and your payment gateway’s WooCommerce integration. This allows you to sell a PMPro Membership as a WooCommerce Product and let WooCommerce handle the checkout of your membership level using your payment gateway of choice.
Below is a brief guide on how to set this up:
- Install and activate WooCommerce on your site. The primary WooCommerce plugin is free via the WordPress repository.
- Set up your chosen payment gateway in your WooCommerce Setup. You may need to purchase a premium gateway extension from WooCommerce.
- Install and activate our WooCommerce Integration on your site. This PMPro WooCommerce Add On is free via the WordPress repository.
- Set up your membership levels to be sold as Products. Have a look at the “Membership Products” section of the Add On page for more details.
- Let WooCommerce handle the checkout process instead of Paid Memberships Pro.
This won’t work for me. Now what?
Perhaps, this workaround is not going to work for you. If that is the case maybe some of these alternatives might do the trick!
- Adding a New Gateway documentation (Warning: Not for the faint of heart!) – It is recommended that you are an experienced code wrangler if you decide to take this project on.
- Find a Developer to help. We have some experienced WordPress/Paid Memberships Pro Partner developers that you can get in touch with that will happily give you an estimate on integrating your Payment Gateway for you. Simply open up a developer request and one of our developer partners will get in touch with you.
Prevent non-members from viewing product prices or purchasing products from your WooCommerce store with this Code Recipe
The code recipes below demonstrate how to restrict your online store to members-only using WooCommerce or Jigoshop. If you’re using a different eCommerce plugin, post a topic in our member forums and we will help you get the restriction in place.
Offer an “Amazon Prime”-like service for your WordPress shop. Sell a Paid Memberships Pro level that offers free shipping in your Jigoshop or WooCommerce-powered store.