In lots of these recipes, you will see the instructions to add some bunch of code to the “active theme’s functions.php file” or “a custom plugin”. How do you go about creating a custom plugin? Like this.

You will need to be able to FTP into your website. If you don’t know how, ask your host or Google it.

1. Create a folder called pmpro-customizations in the wp-content/plugins folder of your site.
  2. Create a file called pmpro-customizations.php in the folder you just created.
  3. Edit pmpro-customizations.php and paste this code into it:

<?php
    Plugin Name: PMPro Customizations
    Plugin URI: http://www.paidmembershipspro.com/wp/pmpro-customizations/
    Description: Customizations for Paid Memberships Pro
    Version: .1
    Author: Stranger Studios
    Author URI: http://www.strangerstudios.com
  4. Add the code for the recipe you are doing at the bottom of pmpro-customizations.php.
  5. Save it.
  6. Go to Plugins in your WP Dashboard and active the PMPro Customizations plugin.

Tada!

18 Responses to Create a Plugin for PMPro Customizations

1. Hide the PMPro "Require Membership" meta box from non-admins on add/edit post screen. - Paid Memberships Pro says:

[...] on the edit post screen. Here is some code to add to your activetheme’s functions.php or a custom plugin. /* Hide the PMPro "Require Membership" meta box from non-admins on add/edit post [...]

2. Keep Non-Members From Posting Comments | Paid Memberships Pro says:

[…] Below is a simple block of code you can place in your theme’s functions.php file or in a helper customizations plugin (ideal method) to restrict […]

3. leihan says:

this looks very doable. 3 questions.
    1. do custom plug ins slow down the speed of my site?
    2. do I need to do anything to the custom plugin when a new version of the PaidMembership pro updates?
    3. I want to use this new plugin you got but don’t want to require Last Name. Should I create a custom plug in and edit the code from https://github.com/strangerstudios/pmpro-add-name-to-checkout OR just download this one and edit the code in there directly to NOT require last name?

thank you! love this help forum so far. great job!

Lei

4. Susie Koether says:

can you have more than one customized plug-in at a time? or do you put them into this one instance?

• Kimberly Coleman says:

All customizations can go into the same pmpro-customizations file core plugin file (pmpro-customizations.php). We have some add ons that function as separate plugins but for code recipes and defining certain global variables in conjunction with add on plugins, you just need a single pmpro-customizations plugin.

5. Jessica O on "[Plugin: Paid Memberships Pro] Display Single Level Checkout with Shortcode" | Wordpress Problems & Erros - How to fix says:

[…] 2. Define a default checkout level for PMPro to use with this code:define("PMPRO_DEFAULT_LEVEL", "1"); You will want to place that in your active theme’s functions.php file or a customizations plugin as described here: http://www.paidmembershipspro.com/2012/08/create-a-plugin-for-pmpro-customizations/ […]

6. sandipoza says:

after login i got logged-in. i dont want to got logged-in page what can i do?

7. akismet-e5c4dbeda0b4a1ddd39095704cef6c95 says:

Hate to beat a dead horse, but what IF I wanted to create seperate plugins for each of my customizations so I could control turning some of them on/off without affecting the others.. Can I do this?? If so HOW??

• Jason Coleman says:

You could do this. Just change the folder name, file name, and “Plugin Name” and “Plugin URI” to something unique for each plugin. Then they will show up as separate plugins in your dashboard. The plugin “Pluginception” is also an easy way to generate plugins in a WP install:

8. bballah says:

I installed PM Pro, the helper plugin and created the pmpro-customizations.php as instructed. The custom fields show up fine on checkout and profile BUT it doesn’t save to database. Did I miss a step? Thanks.

• Jason Coleman says:

This is not a known bug, you should post something to the member forums and we can help you out.

9. messica on "[Plugin: Paid Memberships Pro] Blank Message for Non-member" | Wordpress Problems & Erros - How to fix says:

[…] The intended use of the shortcode is simply to give users the ability to hide and display different content depending on membership level. If you want, you can create your own [my_membership] shortcode by copying and modifying the functions to your own active theme’s functions.php file or customizations plugin. […]

10. cedros says:

Hi,

I followed the instruction, used this code (https://gist.github.com/strangerstudios/6003272) for the plugin and uploaded it. But for some reason it doesn´t show up in the plugin sections. I checked three times now, if I did anything wrong, but it´s basically just copy and paste. Do you now any common mistake that I could have made? It´s named correctly and in the right place – I really have no clue, why it doesn´t show up!?

• Jason Coleman says:

You need to put the “header” information from the pmpro-customizations template above the code from that gist. So paste them together with the pmpro-customizations on top and make sure it’s in the /wp-content/plugins/ folder. If you need more help, post to our member forums and we’ll help you out.

• cedros says:

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply. After checking everything a few more times and not finding any mistake, I just created folder and file again from scratch and for some reason now it works!?!?
        I also sent an e-mail to your support over your contact form. Since the problem is already solved, please just ignore it.

Thank you!

11. cruzalde says:

Hi, I am currently using the PMPro Customization and I am very happy with this plugin. The only item I am figuring out at the moment is how to inject javascript into the pmpro customization, because I am looking at having a datepicker for my date fields.