You should always set the IPN URL in your PayPal settings when using Paid Memberships Pro with any of the various PayPal gateways. Continue reading to better understand why you need to set an IPN URL in your PayPal settings.
How to set your IPN URL in PayPal
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Follow the steps below to configure your PayPal IPN URL:
- Log in to https://www.paypal.com/us/signin
Enter your account email address and password to log in to PayPal.
- Go to “Account Settings” > “Website Payments”.
In the dropdown menu under your account name in the upper right, select “Account Settings”. The Account Settings page has a left side navigation bar. Select “Website Payments” (located toward the bottom of this menu.
- Under “Instant Payment Notifications” click “Update”.
In the main area of the “Website Payments” page, scroll down to the “Instant Payment Notifications” section. Click “Update”.
- Click “Edit Settings”.
Once on the IPN page, click the button to “Edit Settings”.
- Set your “Notification URL” and Enable “IPN Messages”
Your site’s “Notification URL” can be found in the WordPress admin under Memberships > Settings > Payment Gateway & SSL. Confirm that the setting for “IPN Messages” is set to “Receive IPN Messages (Enabled)”. Save settings.
Verify IPN Settings in PayPal
After completing the steps above, the PayPal Instant Payment Notifications page should look like the image below.
- The “Notification URL” is set and exactly matches that in your membership site under Memberships > Settings > Payment Gateway & SSL > IPN Handler URL
- Message delivery is Enabled.
- The button is “Turn Off IPN” is greyed out. You can confirm that IPN is On.
If you are still having IPN issues, this may be due to something with your hosting or WP setup or a bug in our code. We have some IPN troubleshooting tips here. And if you open a new ticket in the private support area, we can follow up with you to get it resolved.