Let’s face it, dealing with refunds is an unavoidable part of your membership business. Some number of your refunds will be from legitimate users that realize they do not need or want your membership any more.
Some refunds, though, may be from abusive users who know that they can sign up, consume your membership product (whether that’s support, premium content or guides, downloads and more), then cancel and request a refund right away. If you are seeing this become a widespread problem, check out the code recipes below.
About the Code Recipe
This post includes three different recipes based on how you want to approach the restriction on a new checkout. In each case, the user will see a notice if they try to purchase membership that can be adjusted for your needs. The default message reads: Please contact us about your account to complete checkout..
- Restrict checkout if the LAST order was refunded,
- Restrict checkout if the user has ANY refunded order history,
- Restrict checkout if the user has ANY refunded order history, but ALLOW checkout if their LAST order was successful.
More about Refunds and PMPro
If you are new to PMPro, check out some of these other articles related to member refunds:
- How to process a refund
- Advice for decreasing refund rates
- Details on the Member History Add On to show a member’s past orders
- Add a “Refund Rate” Report to your dashboard
- Responding to Chargebacks or Disputes